As a National Carrier and the country’s premier shipping line, The Shipping Corporation of India owns and operates around half of the Indian tonnage, and has operating interests in practically all areas of the shipping business; servicing both national and international trades. In view of the demand from Indian trade, SCI has diversified into a large number of areas. Today, SCI is the only Indian shipping Company operating Tankers, Product Carriers, International container services, Liquid/dry bulk services, LPG & LNG, Offshore services, Passenger services. In addition, SCI mans and manages a large number of vessels on behalf of various government departments and organizations.
ETO course is conducted at SCI’s Maritime Training Institute at Powai, Mumbai. This course is approved by Directorate General of Shipping (DGS). ETO course comprises of pre-sea training of 04 months at MTI Powai and structured shipboard training of 04 months thereafter on ships operated by SCI.
After completion of 04 months pre sea training at shore and 08 months structured shipboard training as trainee ETO, candidates can appear for an examination conducted by D.G. Shipping, Government of India for issuance of “Certificate of Competency (COC)” for the rank of Electro Technical Officer. On satisfactory completion of training period of 12 (4 + 8) months by a Trainee ETO cadet and there after qualifying the examination of D G Shipping, Government of India with the possession of COC of ETO rank, Shipping Corporation of India Ltd. (SCI) may employ those candidates on ships owned, manned or operated by SCI as per INSA MUI Agreement, subject to availability of vacancies. Also, candidates will be required to furnish an indemnity bond to SCI for agreeing to serve on SCI vessels for a period of 5 years after obtaining the certificate of competency (COC) of ETO. In the event of breach of Indemnity, candidate shall be liable to pay INR 3, 00,000.00 (INR Three Lakhs) towards the expenses incurred on the skill development.
The SELECTION OF CANDIDATE is only for one time Shipboard training and The Shipping Corporation of India LTD. doES not have obligation or DOes NOT guarantee any further employment or extension of ship board training.
About the Online Examination
The on-line examination shall be of two (02) hours duration, which will be in the form of multiple choice questions (MCQs). It will focus on Quantitative Aptitude test, Professional Knowledge test, English Language test and Reasoning Ability test. The questions of the test will be bilingual (English and Hindi).
Important Note : Candidate MUST PASS in each of the objective tests to qualify for personnel interview. The passing Marks in each test will be decided at a later stage by the MTI/SCI on the basis of the performance of all the competing candidates in each test.
The on-line examination shall be of two (02) hours duration, which will be in the form of multiple choice questions (MCQs). THE CANDIDATES CAN APPEAR FOR ONLINE EXAMINATION FROM THEIR RESIDENCE OR THE LOCATIONS SUITABLE TO THEM. Internet connections and Webcam is mandatory for this online examination. Candidates can appear the online examination only on desktop/laptop. The shipping Corporation of India Ltd. shall not be held responsible for poor Internet connectivity and instrument problems of the candidates.
How to Apply
- Candidates need to apply online through the link given on this page
- After successful submission of online application from, candidates MUST take print out of application form. It is required at the time of document verification before interview.
- Filling of multiple applications will result in cancellation of all applications.
- A candidate MUST have valid Email ID and Mobile Number. All future communications and correspondence will be through Emails and our official website ONLY.
- Before applying, candidates must ensure that they fulfill all the eligibility criteria and norms as mentioned on this page
- Before filling application form a candidate MUST read all instructions carefully given under the “General Information and Instructions” section.
Candidates need to apply online through the link given on this page
After successful submission of online application from, take print out of application form. It is required at the time of document verification before interview, as applicable
Appear for Online Examination
Check the result on the MTI/SCI website.
If name appears in the merit list, appear for interview.
If qualified, candidate has to undergo STCW Medical examination test.
Check for final merit list on the MTI/SCI website.
General Information and Instructions
- Only Indian Nationals are eligible to apply.
- An application fee once deposited is NOT refundable in any circumstance.
- Eligible candidates will be required to appear in the All India on line test at their own expenses and only candidates qualifying in the on line test will be called for Personal Interview in the ratio of 1:3 (3 candidates called against 1 vacancy); keeping the provision of reservation for SC/ST/OBC (NCL)/EWS The Shipping Corporation of India Ltd. reserves the right to shortlist the candidates for on line test also.
- If any information provided by the candidate is found to be false or incorrect or not in conformity with the eligibility criteria, then his / her candidature is liable to be rejected at any stage of the selection process or after selection or joining.
- No modifications are allowed after submission of the application form. Incomplete application form in any particulars is liable to be rejected.
- Candidature is also liable to be rejected if the online application forms received without correct photo or signature.
- Candidates employed with Government departments / PSUs / Autonomous bodies have to produce NOC at the time of interview if called for the same. If such candidates cannot provide the NOC, they will not be allowed to appear for the interview. Candidates are also requested to apply for passport during selection process and try to obtain passport prior commencement of course which is mandatory for onboard training.
- The Shipping Corporation of India Ltd. reserves the right to change the number of vacancies and cancel / restrict / modify / alter the selection process, if required, without issuing any further notice or assigning any reason thereof.
- Any modifications / amendments in the advertisement will be given in the notification section of the website www.mti.shipindia.com/
- All Instructions and important information regarding selection will be available only on the SCI/MTI website and as such, candidates are advised to visit the same frequently for necessary instructions.
- Candidate should bring all the original valid documents and one set of self-attested photocopies of all certificates at the time of interview. Candidates failing to produce original documents for verification will not be allowed to appear for the Personal Interview.
- Only those who are in possession of all the documents mentioned above can apply.